Monday, March 2, 2009

Buffalo chicken thighs

Buffalo sauce. Crude, salty, highly processed, low brow. Also: unspeakably delicious.

I love buffalo chicken.

With bleu cheese.

I love it to a shameful degree. I more than love it: I lurve it; I luff it with two F's. But why is it always wings--the most impractical, messy, meatless part of the chicken? And what's with all the frying? Is that really necessary?

Well, here's my take on things. Note: David Squires, this is for you.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
  • 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
  • 1 1/2 cups crushed-up corn flakes
  • 4 eggs, beaten
  • 1 1/4 cups Frank's Red Hot Wings sauce
DIRECTIONS:
  1. Preheat the oven to 450ยบ.
  2. Combine half the bread crumbs and half the corn flakes in a large bowl. Put the eggs in a separate bowl. Prepare a broiling pan.
  3. Coat the chicken thighs on both sides with egg, then coat in the bread crumb mixture, and then place on the broiler. When the breadcrumbs become soggy (after 2-3 thighs), start over with the second half of the mixture.
  4. Broil the chicken for 12 minutes on each side or until the juice is golden when the chicken is pricked with a fork.
  5. Immediately before serving, put the hot sauce in a shallow bowl or casserole. Coat each thigh on both sides; serve immediately.
Serve with a dollop of roquefort mustard and several sprigs of celery or parsely.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Having just polished off a stack of these, I would like to commend Mr. Borenstein for an excellent recipe. I would also like to suggest barbecuing the chicken rather than broiling to give it some extra crackle.

David Borenstein said...

Right on with the barbecue. I don't have a grill, alas, so I am forced to fall back on indoor methods. I'm glad you liked it!