Sunday, December 2, 2007

Russian Red Bean and Walnut Soup

This recipe came to me by way of an ex-girlfriend, who (while we were dating) found it in her grandmother's scrapbook and gave it to me. Years went by and I thought I had lost this delicious winter soup, but it surfaced while I was moving into my condo. Thank goodness for that, because it's hearty, well-balanced and great for a cold evening.

If you use vegetable broth, this can be vegetarian and kosher dairy.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 lb. dried kidney beans
  • 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
  • 2 quarts broth (I use chicken broth)
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 2 large onions, chopped
  • 3 tbsp. butter
  • 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
  • Red pepper flakes to taste
  • 1/2 cup fresh parsely, minced
  • Sour cream or yogurt
DIRECTIONS:
  1. Rinse beans thoroughly in cold water, checking for grit or foreign particles.
  2. Combine the beans and broth in a soup pot; bring to a boil.
  3. Add bay leaf and garlic and simmer, covered, for two hours or until beans are soft.
  4. Heat the butter in a skillet. Sauté the onions until soft (but not brown).
  5. Sprinkle with flour and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture browns.
  6. Add some liquid from the soup to the onion mixture and cook for another minute.
  7. Pour the onion mixture into the soup.
  8. Stir in walnuts, red pepper, parsley. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  9. Simmer uncovered for another 25 minutes, stirring often.
  10. Remove bay leaf.
Serve with a dollop of sour cream or yogurt.

PAIRINGS:

I suppose this would pair well with a brown ale, but I usually just drink water. That said, I once made a similar stew that played beautifully off Dogfish Head's "Raison D'Être" mahogany ale. Something about the yeasty, sweet ale with the nuts and the red beans...

No comments: