Monday, December 31, 2007

Chocolate walnut pancakes

When Aunt Ramona made me pancakes--the way they make 'em in South Carolina, darlin!--I came to understand that the humble pancake need not be so shy: it can puff itself a mile into the air and take its place with any biscuit. In fact, that's exactly what a southern pancake should be: a giant, soft, mildly sweet, griddle-fried biscuit.

Alas, the art of making this happen was lost on me. Finally, today, this recipe showed me that the trick is to use a startling amount of baking powder. I think they might be going a bit overboard with 3 1/2 tsp., but maybe I'm wrong--who knows?

I have decided that I like the earthy flavor of whole wheat flour in pancakes, especially when they're filled with nuts, as I have done below.

UPDATE 4/18/2008: In an effort to use up all my chametz prior to passover, I made a lot of pancakes. I observed the following things:
  • No, it isn't crazy to use 3 1/2 tsp. baking powder. Your pancakes are just going to be huge.
  • Pancake batter is best if used immediately, but keeps 2-3 days after preparation as long as you have added no significant acid sources, such as fresh berries. After adding berries, use batter immediately.
  • Leftover batter does not rise as much.
  • It takes awhile for the pan to reach full heat. When in doubt, start with one small pancake.
  • The pancakes are ready to flip when the batter is bubbling on the top.
  • I highly recommend adding vanilla to every batch.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2 tbsp. sugar
  • 1 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 medium egg, beaten
  • 3 tbsp. butter, melted
  • 1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
  • 1/3 cup bittersweet chocolate (60% cocao recommended)
DIRECTIONS:
  1. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a mixing bowl.
  2. Add the milk, egg and butter and mix thoroughly until smooth.
  3. Add the walnuts and chocolate and mix until even.
  4. Heat a small, non-stick skillet (not much bigger than the pancakes you want) to medium-high heat. Put a plate next to the stove.
  5. Using a tablespoon, put 2-3 gobs of batter into the skillet.
  6. Cook for about 45 seconds per side, then remove to the plate. Try making a couple small pancakes first to get the heat and the duration right.
Serve immediately.

No comments: