Sunday, July 13, 2008

Yogurt pancakes

Like many Sundays, I woke up this morning with the feeling that only pancakes could provide sufficient motivation to get out of bed. Also like many Sundays, I realized that I was out of milk. But I had yogurt. So I found a particularly delicious-sounding yogurt coffee cake, adjusted the ingredients for my purposes and proceeded to undertake the experiment.

WOAH. These inch-high behemoths have the interior consistency of a pancake and the crust of a muffin top. They're rich and moist and sweet and eating them with a big glass of iced coffee was enough to make me forget all my worries. Try them.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tbsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 3/4 cup plain yogurt
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
DIRECTIONS:
  1. Combine all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
  2. Add all of the wet ingredients and stir until smooth.
  3. Warm up a non-stick griddle to medium-low, and apply non-stick spray or butter to make it doubly non-stick.
  4. Spoon out the batter in heaping tablespoons onto the griddle. Cook for 2-3 minutes on one side or until just possible to flip. Cook for another 1-2 minutes on the other side.
  5. Serve immediately.

No comments: