Thursday, April 24, 2008

Mina (Passover Spinach and Cheese Pie)

My mother made this for me when I was a kid. I think it's pretty tasty, although I could go for a zestier flavor. The end product is like a cross between a Tortilla EspaƱola and spanakopita.

One tip: when I say 'drained' spinach, I mean really drained. Take the spinach in your hands and squeeze it. It's amazing how much water there is in a package of spinach.

An idea that I had as I struggled with the eggs was that perhaps it would be better to dip the upper layer of matzo in eggs first, and then pour the remaining eggs over that, thus creating what is in effect a layer of matzo brei on top. It would definitely make the results more even. Mixing an additional egg or two into the spinach wouldn't be bad.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 lbs. frozen spinach, thawed and drained
  • 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 4 eggs, beaten
  • 4 matzos
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • Bowl of water
DIRECTIONS:
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Put 1/4 cup oil at the bottom of a baking pan. The pan should be slightly larger than a matzo--say 10x12 or 12x12.
  3. Dip two of the matzos in water quickly (or they will become soggy) and then arrange them at the bottom of the pan, breaking them if necessary, so that the bottom is covered.
  4. Mix the spinach, feta and garlic in a bowl; arrange on top of matzo.
  5. Dip the remaining matzos in water and arrange on top of the spinach. Pour the eggs over this, attempting to apply them evenly.
  6. Bake for 10 minutes. Drizzle remaining oil over the casserole and return to oven for another 30 minutes.
Allow to cool slightly before serving.

No comments: